This is a recipe that my friend Jill shared a few years ago when we all tried a vegan diet for a while. We’ve all since gone back to an omnivore diet, but discovered many great vegan recipes during that time.
Spicy Rice and Beans has become a staple in our house. I love the flexibility of the recipe and how easy it is to throw together.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks of celery (I omit this if I don’t have any in the fridge)
- Can of sweet corn
- Any extra veggies you need to use up
- 1/2 tsp. oregano (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. thyme (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. basil (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 can black beans (or 2 cups cooked black beans) and/or
- 1 can chickpeas (or 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup veggie broth or 1 can of diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Heat the olive oil. Once heated, cook the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and vegetables and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add herbs and spices and mix until everything is coated.
- Add tomato paste, vegetable broth or diced tomatoes, beans, rice and salt. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.