This quinoa salad has become my potluck staple. It’s extremely easy to make and always gets rave reviews and recipe sharing requests.The recipes come from Ellen, a woman I worked with at the Falls Brook Centre over ten years ago. We’ve lost touch since then, but I always think of her when I’m making this salad.
Ellen’s Yummy Quinoa Salad (adapted from Ellen Ruby)
- 1 cup quinoa – any colour (you can also use 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/4 cup wild rice, and 1/4 cup brown rice)
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 can corn nibblets
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Optional: 1 chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp cider or rice vingar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and cool quinoa (this can be done hours in advance, just put in fridge until ready to assemble salad).
- Add red pepper, corn nibblets, feta and optional parsley and jalapeno pepper to quinoa.
- Mix together garlic, vinegar and oil for dressing and add to salad.
I love quinoa. It’s often called a “superfood” because it has the perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids. It’s also gluten-free and a great source of protein. We eat quinoa a few times a week as a side dish and my potluck staple is a quinoa salad recipe, but I hadn’t ventured further than that. That’s why I was so happy when a friend lent me her cookbook “Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood” and I found this wonderful soup in it.
We tend to like our food extra herb-y or spicy and often double or triple the amounts called for in recipes. If you would like to make the original recipe, halve the herbs in the recipe below, place them in cheesecloth tied with a cotton string, and remove once the soup is cooked.
Beef Vegetable Quinoa Soup (adapted from Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood)
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup diced stewing beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat
- Place the beef in the pan and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook until the onion is opaque, about 10 minutes.
- While this is cooking, removed the rosemary, thyme, and parsley from the stems and grind the herbs (we used a mortar and pestle, but you could use an electronic grinder).
- Add quinoa, beef broth, and herbs (including bay leaves) to vegetable mixture.
- Simmer the soup for about 10 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and peas. Simmer an extra 8 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.